Friday 16 May 2008

That Was The Week That Was...

Pretty atrocious, really.

On top of the Martian activity I have had a really interesting week. A veritable roller-coaster of emotional turmoil and Jekyll and Hyde behaviour. Thankfully, I think we're through the worst now, and I can concentrate on the last week of this first five and look forward to getting home. I've been looking forward to that since I got here, to be frank.

So, after the night of torrid, horrid sleep deprivation, I didn't think it could get worse, but it did. On Tuesday, the Boss Man (#2) who was in town from the UK outlined a strategy for us all to keep the client boss (who is a schizophrenic, frankly) happy. I was at last going to get some real work to do instead of scratching around feeding off scraps. In a meeting with the client, it was apparent he didn't have much time for me, and didn't seem bothered at the prospect of me leaving the job - whereas he specifically named everyone else and said he wanted them to stay. Fair enough. I couldn't fault him for that, but then in my defence, I haven't been given any guidance, and the chances to use any initiative were zilch.

After the meeting, I found out that a particular person, who obviously feels threatened by our (specifically my) presence, had been bad-mouthing and poisoning my reputation to the client boss. That was nice of him. It was also established that this same person had no qualms about listening in on our conversations and running straight to his boss to tell him. We've basically decided that he can't be trusted from here on in, the weasily little turd that he is. The hair-style and moustache should have been a give-away.

Anyway, the Big Boss #2 got into a bit of a panic and told me I had to get stuck in and show my worth to the client, etc. Fine, I want to work. Twiddling thumbs is very boring and makes a 10-hour day seem like at least 15 and a half. Now that we have a local co-ordinator / team leader man who joined this week, there would be more guidance. I'm kind new to this line of work anyway, and that's my excuse and I'm sticking to it.

So BB#2 buggered off back to the UK, and then yesterday he sent me an e-mail saying it would be a good idea for me to delay my first week's leave for a couple of weeks to avoid over-lap with Mishter Bond, who is on leave the week after, which would appease the client. The fact is that there isn't actually any overlap: I come back the day he leaves. I took it up with the local team leader and put my case forward, and luckily he agreed that BB#2 was panicking for nought. He said I would be able to take my week off as planned. Hallelujah. I didn't want to have to let my kids down (any more than I already have) and I was also worried about making the right impression with the big bosses. It wasn't going to be an easy decision to make, but I think if it had come down to choosing, I would have chosen to go home. If it costed me my job here, that's fine. I can find another one with someone who isn't going to move the goalposts every two minutes.

In their defence, the client is volatile, and tends to blow the goalposts up rather than just move them. Even the new team leader man said as much. On Thursday, it was touch and go as to whether we would all get kicked off the job after the client had a mad half-hour and demanded the impossible. Luckily, he was placated by our people after a long meeting in the afternoon, and we are flavour of the month again. Knowing him, this will change again next week. It's nothing if not interesting.

Last night I needed beer, so I headed to the nearby hotel and treated myself to a couple of pints in the company of the new team leader. We've already established a healthy rapport and banter, and have had a couple of lively discussions about religion and politics. He is going to keep me on my toes, and that is definitely a good thing.

Roll on Thursday...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Chin up mate, only a week to go. I hate the people who spend all their energy working out ways to stick the knife in. Think how much better it would be if they were secure enough in their own abilities to be nice to other people. Still, its not an ideal world so my advice is wait until no one is looking and nail his ears to his desk, before strolling away nonchalantly. Dont forget to sign his get well card afterwards. All the best, Craig.

Anonymous said...

ah the D's have been changed from Dubai to Doha - enjoy life and dont sweat the small stuff